Monday, August 25, 2008

Meet Chandler Elise ..... A VERY happy baby!!













Today was the day. We met in the hotel lobby at 3pm and took a bus to the civil affairs office. We arrived in less than 20 minutes and by 3:40pm the babies arrived. They were brought in to the room in a group and my name was the second to be called to come receive the baby. She came out holding her photo album I sent to the orphanage a few weeks ago. When they handed her to me she didn't cry but just looked intently at me as Nana snapped lots of photos. It was loud in the room as several of the babies were crying but Chandler just looked around and after about five minutes cried just a bit. All of the items I shipped to the orphanage a few weeks ago including her big soft and colorful ball from Auntie Kelly were returned to us there. We were only at the office for less than 30 minutes but it was the most incredible 1/2 hour of my life. I love this precious baby more than I had ever imagined possible. She's just beautiful from head to toe!
On the ride home she was very content watching the cars out the window while sitting on my lap and then suddenly she looked over at Nana and flashed her the most darling smile I've ever seen. Then shortly after that she gave Brian (one of the adopting dads) a big grin. When we returned to the hotel we came back to the room and played with a bunch of her toys. She tried tasting everything she could get her hands on. Then I gave her a quick bath, changed her clothes and we were off to dinner for some congee. Congee is soupy rice cereal that the babies here love including Miss Chandler. She ate like a big girl and then after she was through is when we saw the real Chandler Elise come out. She began laughing and smiling at anyone who would look at her, especially Nana. She was the life of the party! Everyone kept saying, "My, she sure is a happy baby!" And yes, I agree she sure is.
After dinner we completed some paperwork for the adoption and headed back to the room where the doctor came to give her a quick physical exam. She was very patient with all his checking on her until it came time to check her ears. She didn't like that part at all. The doctor said she is very healthy and strong. She's small at just under 17 pounds but he said nothing a little food can't fix. :)
After her physical she was pretty tired so we rocked a bit and in just a few minutes she was asleep. I hated to set her down in the crib but I know I will get to hold her bright and early tomorrow. What a wonderful, memorable day. Finally after all this time, Chandler and I are family!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Nicole, I am crying with happiness!!!!! The pictures are amazing - the two of you look so beautiful together.......all of my love and congratulations are sent your way.
I can hardly wait to talk to you when you get home!!!!!!
love you, love you, love you, Donna

Shannon said...

I'm a little teary reading this. I'm SOO happy for you and I'm thrilled to hear how healthy and happy she is! What a great great day! Congrats Mom!

Unknown said...

Nicole, We've never met, but I 'm a friend of your mom's. I've been checking your blog regularly. Today's entry and photos brought tears to my eyes. What a lucky, blessed little girl to come into such a loving family. normajean

Anonymous said...

Nicole, Congratulations! I'm a friend of your amazing Mother and I've been following your journey through her. I'm so happy for you and for all of your family; what an exciting time. But, the best is yet to come! Congratulations and God bless.
Julie

Mendy said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations Mommy and Chandler. Enjoy Nanning and have a wonderful time!
Mendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna's yelling at me while I'm writing this.......Congratulations enjoy enjoy enjoy......You should not be Blogging (don't know if thats a real word)sleep when she sleeps...you're a MOM now. Now you really are Ms. Harwood (that means you're old) but most of all treasure the time now because it FLYS

RamblingMother said...

congrats!! she is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mother,

Today reminded me of when you came home from the hospital. Yvonne couldn't put you down. We asked her to, but she said I just can't. Now you know how she felt. I'm so happy for all of us.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicole!! She is just BEAUTIFUL!! I am so very happy for you and Chandler.... Finally! I'm also excited for you that you get to spend some time in Nanning & Guilin (and maybe Yangshou?) -- you'll love it... although I bet it's a LOT warmer than when I was there in December! (in the 70's then - must be in the high 80's or 90's now?) ENJOY every minute! Can't wait to see you both once you're home & have time to get settled. ~May

Chad said...

Congratulations! Today ends one journey while the journey you have been awaiting for so long begins! No one deserves this moment more than you, and I know you will cherish it with all your heart.

Chad

Anonymous said...

Nicole and Chandler,
I am so happy for you both.
You both have a wonderful life in front of you.
I feel so blessed to be able to share your joy.
Can't wait until you come home!
Love you both greatly
Debi

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
Congratulations!!!I have been checking your blog since your dad told me about it.Many of them bring tears to my eyes. (happy ones) I am so happy for you and Chandler. You both look very content. What a lucky little girl. I am looking forward to meeting her too.
Cindy O

Anonymous said...

Nichol,
Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and Chandler. What a true blessing that you have found one another. Look forward to meeting up with you soon.
Love to you both,
Uncle Bob

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker